The Newcastle Photographic Society and the Newcastle AH&I Association will be conducting a Youth Photography Competition in conjunction with the National Exhibition of Photography at The 2018 Newcastle Show,
The Youth Photography Competition is open to people 18 years of age and younger, living in the broader Newcastle regional area.
This competition is now closed – thank you to all entrants!
- Highly Commended and Honorable Mention awards can be picked up over the Newcastle Show weekend at Photo Exhibition.
- We will post out the awards if you are unable to pick them up.
About the Competition
- The Competition is a DIGITAL ONLY and there is one open section.
- There is a maximum of four (4) entries per entrant allowed.
- Images need to be:
- in jpeg format
- a maximum of 1920 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high when viewed in the correct orientation
- a maximum of 2 megabytes in size
- The entry fee is $5.00 per entrant.
- Entry fees are collected through the online payment portal PayPal, and can be by credit card or PayPal. This is the only payment method accepted.
- Newcastle Photographic Society 1st Place, $100 and special prize
- Newcastle Photographic Society 2nd Place, $75 and special prize
- Newcastle Photographic Society 3rd Place, $50 and special prize
- Reta Telford Plaque. Judged by Reta, based on her choice for Outstanding Image of the Competition, $40 and special prize
- Neville Foster Plaque. Judged by Neville, based on his choice for Outstanding Image of the Competition,and special prize
- Five (5) Newcastle AH&I Highly Commended Awards and special prize
- Ten (10) Newcastle AH&I Certificates of Merit Awards and special prize
Conditions of Entry
The submission of entries signifies acceptance of the following conditions:
Eligibility: The exhibition is open to people 18 years of age and younger, living in the Newcastle region.
An entry may be rejected when the sponsoring organisation or its agent, in its reasonable discretion, believes the entry does not conform to the exhibition rules and conditions.
The organisers reserve the right to not display an image that could be viewed as offensive by the public.
Persons closely involved in the organisation of the competition, and judges are not permitted to enter the competition.
Image creation and reproduction: Entries must originate as photographs (images captured of objects via light sensitivity) made by the entrant on photographic emulsion or acquired digitally.
By virtue of submitting an entry, the entrant certifies the work as his/her own (aliases are not permitted).
The entrant permits the sponsors to reproduce all or part of the entered material free of charge for publication and/or display in media related to the exhibition. This may include low resolution posting on a website.
Copyright: The copyright of each image entered always remains with the author (photographer) of the image. The exhibition assumes no liability for any misuse of copyright.
Note: The competition committee reserves the right to check all accepted images for copyright violation.
Image alteration and computer generation: Images may be altered, either digitally or otherwise, by the entrant. Images must not be constructed entirely with a computer and all photographic components must have been photographed by the entrant who holds copyright of the complete works submitted.
Image titles must not include words such as “untitled” or “no title” nor camera capture filenames or titles consisting of only numbers.
Titles must use the English alphabet and can contain no more than 50 characters (including spaces).
The titles should be exactly as you want them to appear in the catalogue.
No title or identification of the author shall be visible anywhere on the face of an image.
By virtue of submitting an entry, the Entrant accepts that his/her email address will be used for communicating information about this competition and future competitions.
Youth – For the purpose of this competition, youth includes people 18 years old and younger.
HSC students who have an imagery related project are encouraged to enter. Specific judging feedback will be provided to HSC students only if they request.
This is an OPEN DIGITAL photography competition
Open means, any image that is either colour or monochrome. There are no restrictions on the subject matter. Examples of photography include but are not limited to;
Googling of the subjects above will provide examples of photography genres.
An online gallery and downloadable catalogue will be available after judging.